Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kicking the Habit

I have recently quit smoking. Recently meaning I haven't had a cigarette in a year and a half. I started quitting in December of 2007 with the help of a well known drug that many of you have seen advertised on TV. I started taking it in mid-December. While taking the drug, I was still smoking but it seemed like I didn't need to smoke as much. About the middle of January, I bought a pack of my favorite cigarettes at my usual cigarette buying spot. I made that pack of cigarettes last for two weeks. After I smoked the last cigarette, I was finished with them. I no longer had the urge to smoke and haven't had one since then. What's really strange is I didn't start smoking until I was 20 years old. I was always so against smoking when I was a kid as both of my parents smoked and it used to drive me crazy when riding in the car with them. To this day, I'll never know why I started smoking in the first place. I'm glad I quit, but I only hope 20 years of smoking hasn't done too much damage to me. I've been hearing a lot of talk about anti-smoking laws and such, which to me are just another infringement on our freedoms by government. I am not a smug self-righteous ex smoker who lectures people on the supposed dangers of second hand smoke. I really do not care if other people smoke around me as long they don't blow their smoke in my face, which is the epitome of rudeness in my opinion. I think a business has every right to either allow smoking or ban smoking or provide a smoking section for their customers who smoke. The government does not have the right to tell anyone what they can and cannot do with their own business establishment or property.

No comments:

Post a Comment